What to do if your Circumstances Change
For the 2023/24 academic year, your application will be assessed on gross income from all sources for the period 1 January 2022 to 31 December 2022.
However if you or a family member have experienced a change in circumstances from 1 January 2023, you may apply for your application to be assessed/reassessed under a change in circumstances by emailing email@example.com and including Change in Circumstances in the subject line.
- Income related change in circumstances
- Non-Income related change in circumstances
- Loss of employment
- Permanent reduction in salary
- Cessation of Trading (if Self Employed).
To apply for an income related change in circumstance, the fall in income must be likely to continue for the duration of the course or the foreseeable future. The nature of self employment, farming and rental income is variable and a reduction in such is not considered to be a permanent change. This means a change in circumstances cannot be taken into consideration.
The income of all parties to the application including the person(s) experiencing the negative change will be assessed/reassessed on the current year 2023 and they may be asked to provide evidence of the current year’s 2023 income. If the change happens during the academic year, any grant award or adjustment will take effect from the month in which the change occurred.
- A sibling or parent now attending further or higher education on a full-time basis
- An increase in the number of dependent children in the household
- A change in your nationality or immigration status
- A change in your ordinary permanent residence (this is in relation to adjacent/non-adjacent rates of maintenance grant only)
- A change of course or institution.
When you apply and/or advise of a non-income related change in circumstances, as per above, you will be asked to provide SUSI with documentary evidence to allow us to assess your application in relation to the declared change in circumstances.